Chicago man charged with attempted murder of his 4-month-old son no bail | Chicago News


(WTTW News)

A 26-year-old father reportedly shook and beat his baby to the point where the boy suffered injuries consistent with a car accident and will need medical attention for the rest of his life, prosecutors said.

Carlos Martinez, 26, was denied bail in a Friday afternoon hearing after his arrest for attempted murder and aggravated bodily harm against his own 4-month-old son, who remains hospitalized for weeks afterward alleged abuse.

According to Cook County prosecutors, Martinez lives in a house in the Back of the Yards neighborhood with a woman and three young children – the victim and the woman’s 2 and 6-year-old daughters.

The woman works in a residential care facility, where she spends several days a week, leaving Martinez as the sole babysitter. Over Thanksgiving weekend, prosecutors said Martinez was home with the children when the 4-month-old victim began to vomit and become ill.

This continued the next day, when the 2-year-old informed Martinez that the infant was vomiting again, prosecutors said. The next day the infant was unresponsive, foam was coming out of his mouth and blood around his nose and Martinez was unsure if he was alive, prosecutors said.

It was only then that he saw a doctor, according to prosecutors, who said the 6-year-old indicated that Martinez hit and hit the victim, telling him to “shut up” because he was crying.

The girl said she tried to intervene and stop the alleged abuse, and Martinez has also assaulted her in the past, prosecutors said.

The infant suffered irreversible head trauma and retinal hemorrhage, which a doctor in the pediatric intensive care unit where the infant was examined attributed to “extremely violent shaking”, similar to what would occur if the infant was examined. child had been in a car accident at 40 mph. , prosecutors said.

The victim will never be able to walk or talk and will need constant care for the rest of their life, prosecutors say. He remains in Comer Children’s Hospital and his feeding tube was only recently removed.

After his arrest, Martinez first told investigators that he did not recall violently shaking the victim. But prosecutors said he later indicated he was the only person looking after the children at the time.

During Friday’s hearing, defense attorney for Martinez said his client did not have a violent criminal history and denied prosecutors’ claim that Martinez intended to commit a crime. attempted murder or posed a threat to the community.

Judge Charles Beach, however, disagreed, saying the accused’s alleged actions against an infant, “the weakest of all of us in society,” demonstrated “cowardly behavior, which I believe , threatened not only his other children, but other people.

Martinez is due to return to court for a hearing on December 27.

Contact Matt Masterson: @ByMattMasterson | [email protected] | (773) 509-5431




Comments are closed.